A job interview is the last and the most important step of the job hunting. The increased popularity of resume writing services NYC and career coaches demonstrates that most of the people aren’t ready for it. Even those, who have a perfect CV, often have troubles coming up with a well-thought-out strategy. Moreover, it’s usually the small details that make a huge difference. The best tip would be to take time and consider everything as the process takes up a lot of time and mental resources. Here are a few pieces of advice to make it a little easier.
What Are Common Mistakes?
There are often cases when it’s easier to define the mistakes one shouldn’t make instead of all things to regard. The job interview isn’t an exception, but the interview mistakes are not often obvious for the candidates. As a result, one keeps repeating them all over again as one can’t improve something he doesn’t realize fully. In such case, it’s better to revise the information in advance and be more mindful and deliberate:
- First, you judge “how nice”, then you judge “how wise”. Both parts are essential and proper clothing is a key to the good first impression. It doesn’t guarantee an overall success but neglecting the right outfit can one of these slight but significant errors. A job candidate is supposed to look polished and sure-handed. The level of formality may vary depending on the kind of the position as well as the industry. The best option would be to stick with the qualitative neutrals or to find out the dress code of the company you want to apply to.
- Being late ruins the first impression completely. Punctuality rule should be quite obvious, right? The sad reality is that a natural stress and hustle play a low-down trick with the best of us. The candidate being late is a bad sign for the employer as he can judge straightforward about the lack of management skills and respect for the someone’s time as well as for their own. Simply arrange a “time reserve”. You will be on velvet if something unexpected happens or getting ready ritual lingers on.
- It goes without saying that one mustn’t eat or drink during an interview unless an HR manager offers you something. Texting, making calls or answering your phone will show disrespect as well.
Advanced Interview Technique
A job interview is a chance one shouldn’t miss. The basic goals are to prepare for the interview fundamentally and be able to convince that you’re the best applicant possible. Here are some steps to the improved interview technique:
- Take time to review your resume. The thing is that the small details might slip out of mind. HR managers can tell a lot of stories about the strange and awkward situations during job interviews. For example, a devastating silence as an answer to the questions about the dates or the previous duties.
- Ignoring a non-verbal aspect is a misstep. Communication includes not only the words but mimic, gestures and voice tone as well. Some HR specialists are sure that these features are much more valued than they should be. All of the communication components have to be aimed at the creating a trustworthy and respectable image. It should be expressive enough but not too flashy.
Thank You Note
This trick might impress hirers and make them choose you. A “thank you” note is a finishing touch and a perfect opportunity to finish the positive professional image. One can use it as a way to remind about himself or discuss anything that was missed or misinterpreted during the interview. Do not forget to thank the recruiter for the opportunity to interview.
Make sure that you’d made a research about the company and prepared a list of questions to ask: show the potential recruiter that you are interested in the position and you actually want to work for this particular company.